Thursday, January 6, 2011

In Which I Ride The World’s Slowest Horse, and Have a Great Idea.

It’s been awhile since I have been on a horse so when Mel suggested we go for a ride, I was all for it. The three of us, Mel, Zoe and myself, were dropped off at a beautiful ranch called Silver Falls Ranch in the north of the island close to Hanalei. We were a bit late as we hadn’t factored in rush hour when planning how long it would take us to get there from Koloa. I didn’t think there could be a rush hour either but as there is really only one road for 64 000 people, it has become a problem. They even turn one of the lanes in to a counter flow at certain times of the day to try and keep people moving.

Anyway we were a bit late. 35 mins actually. We were supposed to be there at 8:30am for a 9pm ride but by the time we rolled in it was after 9.  We had called a couple of times to report on our progress so they knew we would be late, but that didn’t stop the three other riders (Sandy, Keith, and Michelle from Michigan) from giving us the stink-eye when we arrived. We cheerfully ignored them and were soon up on our horses. The dude (and he was a dude!) who brought out my horse, “Kid”, warned me that he could be a ‘bit lazy’. Understatement. If Kid was a ‘bit lazy’ then I would hate to see what ‘really lazy’ was like. I could have dragged myself by my lips faster than Kid walked. As a result I spent 99% of the trail ride bringing up the rear. I only pulled ahead by one near the end of the ride because Kid found a shortcut.

Regardless, the terrain was beautiful and the ride relaxing and it was great to see Zoe enjoying her first ride.

DSC06929

That’s Zoe on Mee-Wah.

 DSC06913 DSC06920

That’s the back of Kid’s head.

DSC06926 

That’s me trying to look like Nature Queen or something when really I am booting Kid as hard as I can but to no avail.

DSC06927

After we finished our ride, we were too close to Hanalei not to stop for a swim. The waves were perfect for learning so Kent rented a surfboard and sent the kids out.

DSC06950

DSC06945

That’s Jacob sitting up on the board.

After Hanalei, we continued north-west along the coast. There is a string of beautiful beaches along this coast but at this time of the year they are too dangerous for swimming. We stopped to look at a couple, and finally made our way to the dry cave at Ha’ena Beach, which is just about as far as you can go on this road.

DSC06960 DSC06956 DSC06957 DSC06959

 DSC06961 DSC06963

DSC06966

The view from inside the cave looking out. Pretty cool, but very damp and drippy too. Not to mention the fact that I spent the whole time envisioning the 50 quabillion tonnes of rock overhead crashing down and crushing us all to death.

Anyhoo that didn’t happen.

I always enjoy finding silly signs when I’m travelling and there were two beauties at Ha’ena beach park:

DSC06968

This modification occurred on one of the many signs up at Kauai’s beaches warning you not to go out in the surf as you will end up like the dude in the picture. But that’s not the funny part. I’ll let you find it. I can hardly say it. Thankfully Zoe just thought is was random and didn’t ask what it meant. Google it.

Needless to say it has provided some material for us in the van. (I’m a bit short so sorry but part of it was cut off…)

This next sign was obviously put up by the lifeguard who got tired of answering the same questions over and over.

DSC06969

Here’s the thing: it got me thinking that I could make up a series of small signs – flashcards, even – that I could just hold up when appropriate. I can see them now:

THIS IS THE KITCHEN

YOU SHOULD BE IN YOUR BED BY NOW

WRONG ROOM

or

NO I DON’T KNOW WHERE THE BUTTER IT

NO I DON’T KNOW WHERE IT IS

I WOULD CHECK THE CUPBOARD WHERE WE ALWAYS KEEP IT

or

DID YOU PUT YOUR SHOES ON

GET YOUR SHOES ON

GET THEM ON

Yeah! I’m going to make millions! Don’t steal my idea!

 

DSC06972

I really love this part of the Island. Sigh. Another day in paradise. Only 4 days left!

No comments:

Post a Comment